Mesothelioma Settlements and Lawsuits
Mesothelioma Settlements and data related to Mesothelioma Lawsuits are often very difficult to obtain in the aggregate, primarily because many settlements are entered into with confidentiality provisions between plaintiffs and defendants. It is commonly estimated that the average Mesothelioma Settlement approximates a sum exceeding $1,000,000 USD to private individuals, or their respective surviving families, when a lawsuit is brought on an individual claimant basis. However, individual cases that are not settled out of Court and move on to trial frequently command much larger awards on a post-verdict or appeal basis.
There have been a number of favorable verdicts recently obtained that suggest an upward trend in Mesothelioma settlement compensation. On March 18, 2008 a San Francisco jury awarded $20 million in damages to a woman who was diagnosed with Mesothelioma in 2006, who immediately sued Asbestos manufacturer Georgia Pacific Corp. after receiving her Mesothelioma diagnosis. According to the lawsuit, Georgia Pacific continued making an Asbestos compound even after learning of its dangers, or even after other companies began using Asbestos substitutes. Of special note, Georgia Pacific was ordered to pay 30 percent of the verdict, $7,000,000 USD as sole Defendant, as the Plaintiff had previously reached out-of-court settlements with other companies.
Mesothelioma Settlement specific to various class action claims also indicate an upward bias for Mesothelioma Settlements. One of the first Mesothelioma Class Action lawsuits litigated to fruition in 1995 yielded $700,000,000 USD in compensation to the plaintiffs, and since this time, over 750,000 individual claimants have joined various Mesothelioma Class Action lawsuits. In July 2008, W.R. Grace reportedly agreed to pay the U.S. government $250,000,000 USD to reimburse the government for the costs of the investigation and the cleanup of the asbestos contamination in Libby, Montana. A victim of Pleural Mesothelioma worked as an electrician using wire and electrical components during and after his service with the United States Navy, with this case settling in 2004 during jury selection processes for an amount exceeding $3,600,000 USD.
Another victim of Pleural Mesothelioma worked as a nuclear refueling inspector/supervisor and receipt supervisor for the Nuclear Department at MINSY in the 1960’s through the 1970’s. Defendant, Metalclad Insulation, supplied the Amosite Asbestos thermal insulation (also known as Uni-Bestos) that caused the Plaintiff exposure leading to Pleural Mesothelioma. This case was brought in 2005 and settled during pretrial motions for an amount exceeding $2,000,000 USD. Still another victim who died of Pleural Mesothelioma resulting from exposure to Asbestos brought home on her husband’s clothing with the family of the victim settling for an amount exceeding $2,500,000 USD during 2005. Yet another victim of Pleural Mesothelioma worked as a plant operator at various power stations for Nevada Power, Las Vegas, from 1957 through 1964, with such work involving the repair and maintenance of boilers containing Asbestos manufactured by Defendant, D.B. Riley. The case was brought in 2005 and settled for an amount exceeding $2,000,000 USD.
In 2003, the district court for the State of Montana awarded the Environmental Protection Agency over $54,000,000 USD for the cleanup cost damages of contaminated schools, homes and businesses in Libby. Since 2006, Owens Corning Trust has reportedly assumed responsibility for compensating victims of exposure that includes construction workers and shipbuilders who have developed lung diseases, including Mesothelioma, having paid (to that date) an estimated $390,000,000 USD on 70,000 claims. Since this time, the Owens Corning Trust has received an additional 256,000 claims that are pending resolution.
Other recent and notable Asbestos and Mesothelioma related claims compensation cases rendered by settlement or verdict include:Clemmer vs. John Crane, Inc (San Francisco) – 2006 Asbestos Verdict of $550,000 USD economic compensation, plus $1,100,000 USD non-economic damage compensation and $250,000 USD loss of consortium award;
- Cadlo vs. John Crane Inc. and Metalclad Insulation (San Francisco) - 2005 Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Verdict exceeding $8,600,000;
- Garcia vs. Duro Dyne Corporation (San Francisco) - 2005 Peritoneal Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $1,900,000;
- Nagl vs. Dowman Products (Oregon Circuit Court) – 2004 Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Verdict exceeding $659,000;
- Ransdell vs. Sequoia Ventures (San Francisco) – 2003 Pleural Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $2,500,000;
- Hoeffer vs. Rockwell Automation (San Francisco) – 2003 Pleural Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Verdict of $2,999,543;
- Green vs. Union Carbide (San Francisco) – 2003 Pleural Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $1,600,000;
- Hopkins vs. Union Carbide (San Francisco) – 2003 Pleural Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $5,500,000;
- Holland vs. U.S. Mineral (San Francisco) – 2003 Pleural Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $1,000,000;
- Todak et. al vs. Foster Wheeler (San Francisco) – 2003 Pleural Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $33,700,000;
- Vasen vs. Exxon Mobil (San Francisco) – 2001 Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $8,000,000;
- Efstratios vs. John Crane, Inc. (Los Angeles Superior Court) – 2001 Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $4,400,000;
- Traverso, et al. vs. Lorillard Tobacco (San Francisco) – 2000 Abdominal Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure (caused by smoking Kent Micronite Asbestos filtered cigarettes) Settlement exceeding $1,000,000;
- Chavers vs. Owens–Illinois, Inc.; Gatke Corporation (San Francisco) – 2000 Malignant Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $4,600,000;
- Wilson et al v. John Crane (San Francisco) – 1998 Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $4,500,000;
- Armstrong v. Asbestos Defendants (San Francisco) – 1998 Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $4,500,000;
- Wiggins, et al. v. Owens–Corning Fiberglas, et al (San Francisco) – 1996 Mesothelioma - Asbestos Exposure Settlement exceeding $3,800,000;
Mesothelioma Settlement and Lawsuits Disclaimer:
The purpose of this Mesothelioma Settlement and Mesothelioma Lawsuits page is to provide useful information and access to Mesothelioma Settlement resources, as opposed to medical or legal advice. These pages were not prepared by lawyers and should not be taken as a substitute for advice from a medical or legal professional. Mesothelioma or Asbestos disease victims are encouraged to consult medical or legal professionals.